How Long Has It Been?

My body still seems to follow the old patterns. Sleep, wake, sleep, wake, sleep, wake. And the sky seems to change in about the same cycle. Brighter then darker then brighter again. But I'm not where I used to be -- why can't I remember the name of that other place, the old wooden house with the wide porch? -- and somehow I know that the sleep/wake pattern and the dark/light pattern isn't the same as it used to be. Longer, I think. Not much longer, but enough that I feel like I never get enough sleep anymore and when the day finally feels like it will never end the colour goes out of the sky like someone flipped a switch and then everything is finally, mercifully dark.

I could ask her. She would know. She might even tell me, she's been in a good mood lately, ever since we found Pop-top. But it would be a kindness to know, and I won't let her give me that.

No comments: